Saturday, February 6, 2010

Zombies, Love, and an Epiphany.

This week I read a book that was really thought provoking. The Forest of Hands and Teeth. The first time I past this book in Waldenbooks, I stopped dead in my tracks. The title was so awesome I nearly bought it solely based on that alone but then I read the back and am saddened now at how the publisher failed with the back of the book hook. It so miserably fell short of expressing this books awesomeness! So I didn’t buy it that day.

Zombies!!! Would have done the job better, but I digress.

So I finally read the book this week and was astounded to find that a book full of zombies could reveal a truth about my own life. *Spoiler Alert* If you have not read the book and don’t want your view tainted, don’t read on. (Also, you should go out and buy it right now!)

Mary, the main character is never satisfied. She lets her desire for something more cause her to take the important things for granted until it is too late.

After reading it, this book stuck with me. I kept thinking back to all Mary’s choices and wondering if they were worth it. In the end, was getting what she wanted worth losing everything else? I wondered about what happens after the story ends. Would she then be unhappy with what she finally got? Wish she had stayed and loved Travis, or Harry? Would she ever be satisfied?

Why would this eat at me you ask? It’s just a story, you say. But isn’t that what reading is about? Looking at others experiences and seeing ourselves? This is where the epiphany comes in. I realized it was eating at me because I wondered if I am just like Mary, never satisfied.

I don’t know about you, but I tend to go through life trying new things only to find they bore me once I’ve proved I can do them. It’s the one reason I knew that I was meant to be a writer. I haven’t lost interest yet. But this book made me question everything else. Am I missing the important things by always trying to find something better?

When I’m old and grown will I look back on my life and wish I had enjoyed the things I had instead of always searching for something more? Will I wish I had just been content to follow the path society tells me I should? Will I ever be satisfied? Or will I always want more than I have till there is nothing left?

With no answers to these questions, I end with a hope. I hope that someday I am able to write well enough to put out a book that is as thought provoking for someone as this one was for me.

(p.s. I did not know when I wrote this post that this is a series and there is a second book that will be released March 9th 2010!!!)

5 comments:

  1. Love the title of the post!

    It's always interesting when we find a book that connects to our own lives. I agree with your hope at the end - I hope for the same thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read a lot of YA, mainly because I'm just picky about my fiction to begin with. That said, I love a good dark, gritty YA novel... and The Forest of Hands and Teeth delivered. I actually bought it after seeing the book trailer.

    These are good questions to ask, too. I was never satisfied until I chose fiction writing as my career. Now I wake up every day full of energy and ready to dive into the WIP.

    Here's finding to happiness and fulfillment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jemi! I am really excited about the new book! And it's not that far off.

    J. I'm glad you found something that makes you happy. I am hoping one day to make it my career also. I think/hope then I will stop feeling quite so restless.

    I'm keeping fingers crossed for all three of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the title of that book! It's on my wishlist now :) Normally I don't read zombie books, but with a cool title and recommendation like that, I need to try it.

    My epiphany came when reading a short story in an anthology called Catfantastic III. There's a wonderful story about a girl who plagued by self-doubt. She gets invited to the jellicle ball but turns over her chance at rebirth to a handicapped girl. Afterward, she realizes she controls her own life.

    I think the purpose of books is to help us find truths about ourselves. Not all books so it...only the really good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morgan,

    You won't be disappointed. If I hadn't known there was a second one I would have been satisfied with the book. I still wondered about how things would end up for her but felt it ended well. Now that I know there is a second one. I'm chomping at the bit! I know I said it's not that far off, but I lied. March 9th can't get her fast enough! (Did I mention I'm really impatient?)

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
Favorite quote: Eew a box!
email: analaskangirl@gmail.com

Goodreads

Monica Millard's books on Goodreads
Children of the Gods Children of the Gods (Chosen, #1)
reviews: 34
ratings: 44 (avg rating 3.91)

Chosen - A Children of the Gods Short Story Chosen - A Children of the Gods Short Story
reviews: 4
ratings: 17 (avg rating 3.47)

The Fall The Fall
reviews: 7
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.83)

Monica's bookshelf: read

Darkhouse
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms
Rebellion
Blood and Feathers
The Rithmatist
Forbidden Blood
Last Blood
Out for Blood
Bad Blood
Flesh and Blood
Blood Rights
Girl Parts


Monica Millard's favorite books »

Search This Blog

Followers

Follow Me with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Networked blog